LEAGUE TEAM HANDICAP CUP COMPETITION
This season, the competition continues in its modified format, with one or two minor tweaks to the rules.
The Handicap Cup Qualification Round (w/c 6 November) will involve all teams, seeded 1 to 36, based on league positions (from the top of division 1 to the bottom of division 3) at the time the draw is made. The matches will consist of 1 v 19 / 2 v 20 / 3 v 21 / 4 v 22 / 5 v 23 / 6 v 24 / 7 v 25 / 8 v 26 / 9 v 27 / 10 v 28 / 11 v 29 / 12 v 30 / 13 v 31 / 14 v 32 / 15 v 33 / 16 v 34 / 17 v 35 / 18 v 36. A draw will be performed to determine home and away for each fixture. The lesser-ranked team will receive 193.5 points (18 league positions x 10.75) handicap in ALL matches – except see note below. This season, for the purposes of the Qualification Round, the vacant team/position in division 2 will be deemed to be position 12 and hence will be allocated number 24 in the draw, with the team in 6th position in division 1 subsequently having a bye.
Because of the odd number of teams in the second division, the "draw" for this round was made after each team in the league had completed six matches.
Next, the Handicap Cup Preliminary Round (w/c 27 November) will involve 3 of the winning teams from above drawn at random, plus the team having the bye in the previous round, with a maximum handicap, equivalent to a 26 league position differential, being allowed. The handicap for the lower ranked team will be 10.75 per league position. Similarly, the Handicap ‘Plate’Preliminary Round will involve 2 of the losing teams from above drawn at random. The losing teams from this round are eliminated. All the remaining teams from the Qualification Round – winners and losers – have byes.
This leaves 16 winning teams and 16 losing teams to progress to the Handicap Cup First Round and Handicap ‘Plate’ First Round (w/c 22 January), matches to be drawn at random, with a maximum handicap, equivalent to a 26 league position differential, and a handicap for the lower ranked team of 10.75 points per league position.
Note that matches will be re-drawn as necessary in the event of venue clashes, and that handicaps may be adjusted as considered appropriate by the competition organisers, whose decision is final.
1. Qualification to play is to be registered with a team in the league.
2. Reserve players are allowed as per revised league rule 26 – note that in division 3, players cannot play for another team in their own division.
3. Matches to be played over 9 sets of singles – there will be NO DOUBLES – each set will be of 4 games, played to the normal 11 up or deuce finish.
4. The handicap is for the team rather than individuals. Handicaps will be confirmed prior to each round of the competition.
5. The winner is the team which scores the highest total points from the sum of the points scored in all the games plus the team handicap.
6. Matches are to be played during the weeks designated, on the home teams usual match night.
7. Within 3 days, the WINNING TEAM to e-mail the scorecard to the results secretary, David Mawdesley.
8. In the event of any issues, contact Steve Carnaby.
9. If the results do not arrive on time, or in the event of a dispute, the Executive Committee will determine the outcome.
Qualification Round 2017
Standish C 386 v Warrington Jets pPong 382
Rainford Smash v Wigan Fusion conceded
LSG Dragons 393 v Wigan Eagles 385
Heinz 466 v Standish A 385
Wigan Royals 395 v LSG Slayers 370
Rainford Spin v Bye
LSG Saints 399 v Wigan Blades 392
Rainford Smile 390 v LSG Knights 387
LSG Raiders 349 v Rainford Storm 396
Wigan Roby Mill 390 v Rainford Surge 390.5
Wigan Wanderers 375 v Standish D 425
Standish B 391 v Hindley St. Peter's 404
Poolstock Pirates 385 v Wigan Gordon 380
LSG Crusaders 408 v Wigan Piethons 392
Rainford Strike 377 v Scousers 396
Wigan Wolves 377 v Wigan Ralfs 450
Wigan Thunder v Wigan Chasers conceded
Wigan Phoenix 415 v LSG Titans 387
PRELIMINARY ROUND week beginning 27 November 2017
Wigan Ralfs 161.5 v Standish C 0
Poolstock Pirates 54.5 v Rainford Spin 0
Wigan Roby Mill 0 v LSG Knights 140.5