A lone Peter Quince success prevented Shottery A from achieving their fourth whitewash in five outings this season. The Henley A player was too consistent for Graham Poole and won their contest over four games. However that proved to be the league leaders only blip, as although both Poole and Stephen Foster were taken to deciders by Geoff Shepherd the visiting captain was unable to close out either match. Henley were disadvantaged by the absence of the in-form Mike Evetts, although rumours that he called off in order to protect his average proved wide of the mark! ( informed insiders suggest that his absence resulted from a fixture clash in the Birmingham League - Ed. )  With Gary Stewart, who has yet to concede a game, chalking up his usual treble Shottery A's position already looks unassailable.

Shottery B went one better than their senior side when they travelled to Ashorne. Tim Fell, Gareth Hepworth and Tony Remes all put in unbeaten performances, without being severely tested, to achieve the perfect scoreline .

In contrast with their club colleagues Shottery's third string lost out to their visitors West Warwicks. In the first match of the evening the host's talisman Rob Poole enjoyed a comfortable victory over Jim Ferguson who had beaten him with some ease last season. It was a much more even contest when Poole came up against Andy Rowland as it was nip and tuck all the way until the Shottery player eventually secured the decider with something to spare. However any hopes he had of earning a treble were dashed by Alison Stewart who overturned an early disadvantage to win over the distance. Stewart also went to the wire with Ken Southwell before coming through to earn a hard fought treble. She also paired up with Rowland to achieve success in the doubles. With Rowland contributing a brace, and Ferguson their other success, West Warwicks went home with a 7-3 victory.

The result was even closer in the clash between the league's two bottom teams. Robert McCluskey proved the star of the show as his Henley B side came away from FISSC with a keenly fought 6 - 4 win. He was too strong for the Farmers and registered a treble as well as partnering Gordon Trinder as they claimed the crucial doubles. Trinder himself added a brace but was prevented from making it an evening to remember by Peter Florence. In their evenly contested clash Florence narrowly squeezed home in the first two games but, at 10 - 6 down, looked to have surrendered the third before rallying to gain the next six points. That ensured the Farmer finished with a brace, while Peter Bruce-Moore and Richard Bennett each recorded one win.

Henley B's fixture with Ashorne also ended 6 - 4 although, this time, they narrowly failed to secure the honours. In an evening full of incident John Hunt took the accolades after notching a treble to provide the backbone to his team's success. In contrast Henley's Gordon Trinder put up a terrific fight in all three of his matches but was unrewarded. He took a two game lead against Brian Marston, only for his opponent to raise his performance to win over the distance and finish the fixture with a brace. Trinder also lost in the fifth to Mark Kingham, but proceedings were temporarily halted when a butterfly decided to land on the table to get a close-up of the action! Kingham was not quite so fortunate when playing Dave Hatcher who is beginning to reap rewards for his hard work and claimed the honours in the decider. 

Last Updated:
Share This Page