The Aubrey Hughes Handicap Shield Competition For 2017-18
Sample completed scoresheet (pdf) (from Didcot league)
Following some errors in last year's results, please ensure that at least one player from each
team checks the arithmetic on the results sheet as the match progresses.
Vikings A v Forum D
Forum J v British Rail
Second round (quarter-finals):
Begbroke A v Forum J 417 - 429
Holton C v British Rail 421 - 437
Bicester E v Forum D 416 - 436
Vikings A v Bicester B 430 - 322
Schedule for the group stages:
Mon 08 Jan Forum I v Holton C 362 - 386
Mon 08 Jan British Rail v Forum G (440 - 0) walkover
Mon 08 Jan Forum B v Bicester E 437 - 516
Mon 08 Jan Forum A v Forum F 405 - 429
Mon 08 Jan Vikings D v Vikings A 393 - 433
Mon 08 Jan Bicester C v Forum D 393 - 436
Tue 09 Jan Vikings E v Vikings C Vikings E withdrawn
Wed 10 Jan Forum E v Vikings B 361 - 388
Thu 11 Jan Bicester A v Bicester B Bicester A withdrawn
Thu 11 Jan Gladiators A v Forum C (0 - 440) walkover
Thu 11 Jan Holton B v Begbroke A 407 - 421
Mon 15 Jan Vikings C v Forum B 417 - 405
Mon 15 Jan Forum J v Forum A 417 - 413
Mon 15 Jan Forum D v Forum E 372 - 365
Mon 15 Jan Bicester E v Vikings E Vikings E withdrawn
Wed 17 Jan Forum H v British Rail 420 - 440
Wed 17 Jan Forum C v Forum I 433 - 414
Thu 18 Jan Bicester D v Bicester A Bicester A withdrawn
Thu 18 Jan Gladiators B v Holton B 426 - 352
Thu 18 Jan Holton C v Gladiators A 430 - 395
Thu 18 Jan Vikings B v Bicester C 415 - 409
Thu 18 Jan Holton A v Vikings D 398 - 335
Mon 22 Jan Forum F v Forum J 360 - 393
Mon 22 Jan Forum B v Vikings E Vikings E withdrawn
Mon 22 Jan Bicester E v Vikings C 459 - 431
Tue 23 Jan Begbroke A v Gladiators B 404 - 370
Wed 24 Jan Forum C v Holton C 420 - 441
Wed 24 Jan Forum G v Forum H 388 - 367
Wed 24 Jan Forum E v Bicester C (0 - 440) walkover
Thu 25 Jan Bicester B v Bicester D 439 - 389
Thu 25 Jan Vikings B v Forum D 343 - 370
Thu 25 Jan Gladiators A v Forum I 425 - 412
Thu 25 Jan Holton A v Vikings A 395 - 436
Gladiators A 1 -69
Forum C 2 +45
Holton C 3 +80
Forum I 0 -56
Forum B 0 -91
Bicester E 2 +107
Vikings C 1 -16
Vikings E withdrawn
British Rail 2 +67
Forum G 1 -26
Forum H 0 -41
Bicester A withdrawn
Bicester B 1 +50
Bicester D 0 -50
Forum A 0 -28
Forum F 1 -9
Forum J 2 +37
Holton A 1 +22
Vikings A 2 +81
Vikings D 0 -103
Forum E 0 -474
Vikings B 2 +6
Forum D 3 +77
Bicester C 1 +391
Holton B 0 -88
Begbroke A 2 +48
Gladiators B 1 +40
1) The competition shall be open to League teams from divisions 1 to 4.
2) Entry will be made and fees paid when teams are registered at the start of the season.
3) The first round of the competition will be arranged on a round-robin group basis, with the winning team of each group going into the draw for the next round. Subsequent rounds of the competition will be on a knock-out basis, with the winning team at each stage going into the draw for the next round.
4) A handicap will be calculated for each player, based on their results in the first half of the league season and the previous two seasons if applicable. For each match, one team will receive zero points and their opponents will receive a point allowance, being one third of the difference between the sum of the handicaps for the players on each side, rounded up to the nearest whole number, subject to a maximum of 375.
5) The team scoring more points, including the Handicap awarded, will be declared the winner of each match. In the event of the points being even, fractional points will be taken into account. If the scores remain even, the match will be awarded to the away team (as shown in the draw). However, if the Final results in a tie, a further doubles rubber featuring different pairings will be played to find a winner. The Handicap for this extra rubber will be one tenth of the match allocation. If still level on points, a third set will be added to the eleventh rubber; with the handicap being one twentieth of the match allocation. Any parts of whole numbers will be rounded up.
6) The winning team of each group in the round-robin stage will be the team with the highest number of wins in the group. If there is more than one team with the same number of wins, the winner will be the team with the largest total points difference. Fractional points will be taken into account in the event of a tie.
7) Specific weeks of the season have been allocated for the first round of the competition. The first named team shall be the home team and matches should be played on the normal Home night as shown in the League Handbook (no confirmation of the fixture is required). However, matches may be played on another mutually agreed night within the weeks laid down by the Tournament Organiser.
8) In the quarter-final and semi-final rounds, the Home team must offer at least two dates for the match, giving reasonable notice to their opponents. Matches must be completed within the timescale laid down by the Tournament Organiser.
9) Any team conceding a match must immediately inform the opponents’ captain, their Club Secretary and the Tournament Organiser. Also, they may be liable to a fine, as for league matches, if so decided by the Tournament Organiser.
10) All matches shall consist of nine rubbers of singles and one rubber of doubles, the doubles being played by two of the players of the singles. Each rubber shall be of four sets only. The winner of each set will be the player(s) to reach 11 points first. Order of play will be as for normal league matches, with the doubles rubber played as the last rubber of the match.
11) Players may only participate for one league team, except for appearance as a substitute as allowed by this rule. To qualify for the competition they must have played in at least one ODTTA league match for their team (not including any walkovers) and still qualify under ODTTA rules to play further league matches for that team. In exceptional circumstances these restrictions may be relaxed, subject to scrutiny and approval by the Tournament Organiser, by allowing one substitute for a match. A permitted substitute may only be used once in this role.
12) A completed result card must be posted or scanned and emailed to the Tournament Organiser by the winning team, within 48 hours of the match being played. It must arrive by the Tuesday following the match. Non-compliance will result in a fine, as in League matches. Also, failure to send in a result card may lead to the disqualification of the winning team.
13) All matches shall begin at 7.15 pm prompt. Any player not present when nominated to play shall forfeit all games 11-0. If a team fails to arrive by 8.00 pm the match shall be deemed to be forfeited by them. The opposing team must remain at the venue until 8.00 pm, with a view to commencing the match. In the event of a team not showing, the team not at fault must contact the organiser by e-mail, within forty-eight hours, to claim the match. Teams or players arriving late may incur a fine, as for league matches.
14) The Final will be held at the Gladiator Club, on Thursday, 12th April 2018 (7.15pm start).
15) The Shield will be presented to the winners of the Competition whose Club will retain it for one year. Also, personal mementoes will be presented to members of both teams contesting the Final.
16) The Tournament Organiser will rule on any matters not covered by these Rules. Their decisions will be final and binding.
All communications should be directed to the Tournament Organiser:--
Max Jackson 151 Bagley Close, Kennington, Oxford OX1 5LU Tel: 01865 730009 e-mail: email@example.com