23 May 2016
Week 2 of the Kingfisher Grand Prix brought 18 entrants with a couple of notable exceptions as Martin Gunn and Hari Gehlot were both absent.
In the last 16, Trevor Organ drew series leader, Daniel Moses, who played a pretty much textbook game, using short touch play to bring Trevor in close and then driving him back out long with well placed shots, including a couple of spectacular ‘around-the-net’ shots. Trevor kept fighting until the end but didn’t manage to push Daniel beyond 3 games.
Mark Banks had a clear run through against Steve Miller and Joe Barraclough but couldn’t keep his winning streak going when he came up against Martin Adams in the Semi-Final who was still fresh from a 3-game win over Krassi Ivanov.
Daniel didn’t give an inch of leeway to Martin Adams in the final, and took the 2nd week top slot in 3 games (11-8, 11-4, 11-6).
In the consolation event Tony Reynolds breezed through Gwynne and Trevor in 3 straight apiece to secure his slot in the final against Simon Vine, who had beaten Ian Cole in 4 and Rick Leachman in 3 to reach the final. The final was well fought, with close games but ultimately Simon didn’t quite manage to push it into a 5th set, going out 10-12 in the 4th.
Daniel Moses continues to lead the series with 264 points, 121 ahead of Mark Banks with Simon Vine, Tony Reynolds and Martin Adams completing the top 5.
Results - 2016 GRAND PRIX NO 2
- Daniel Moses bt Trevor Organ 5, 6, 9
- Trung Tran bt Simon Vine 6, 5, 13
- Andrew Parker bt Rick Leachman 9, 6, 10
- Richard Fifield bt Gwynne Penny 8, 5, 6
- Martin Adams bt Nigel Keedy 0, 7, 4
- Krassi Ivanov bt Ian Cole 5, 6, -10, 4
- Joe Barraclough bt Sagar Sawant 2, 6, 8
- Mark Banks bt Steve Miller 4, 3, 3
- Daniel Moses bt Trung Tran 3, 9, 6
- Andrew Parker bt Richard Fifield 8, 10, -8, 5
- Martin Adams bt Krassi Ivanov 7, 7, 9
- Mark Banks bt Joe Barraclough 3, 8, 7
- Daniel Moses bt Andrew Parker 8, -10, 5, 4
- Martin Adams bt Mark Banks 4, 4, 5
- Daniel Moses bt Martin Adams 8, 4, 6
- Simon Vine bt Ian Cole -9, 2, 10, 4
- Tony Reynolds bt Trevor Organ 7, 5, 8
- Tony Reynolds bt Simon Vine 9, 7, -6, 10
About Kingfisher Grand Prix:
· Eligibility: open to all members of Kingfisher Table Tennis Club.
· Register in person on the night by 7:30pm.
· 50p entry fee per week payable on the night.
· Straight knock out competition with a random draw each round.
· Consolation event for first match losers, so everyone is guaranteed at least two matches.
· Points system for both winners and losers.
· Weekly league tables and regular write-ups.
· Losing players to umpire.
· Prizes for various categories of members.
· Friendly atmosphere with nibbles for all.
Kingfisher Grand Prix 2016 is sponsored by Blue Jelly Solutions