A total of 31 teams from around the country met at the ‘new’ Hinckley Leisure Centre to do battle in the eight events of the Butterfly National School Team Championship Finals organised by the English Schools’ Table Tennis Association.
Not only was the venue brand new but so were the eight Champion School Teams who had defeated the 2016 reigning champions at either County, Zone or Regional levels – or on the day. Unfortunately no Leicestershire School reached the Finals this year but several did reach the Zonal finals before losing out to stronger schools.
The winners in each group were
BOYS UNDER 19 - THE NORMAN COOK CUP
1. Whitgift School, Croydon (London South) who defeated the Harefield Academy, Uxbridge (London West)
GIRLS UNDER 19 - THE CLAUD KICHENSIDE CUP
1. Tudor Grange Academy, Solihull (Warwickshire) overcame Horsforth School, Leeds (West Yorkshire)
BOYS UNDER 16 - THE LEACH-CARRINGTON CUP
1. Ackworth School, Pontefract (West Yorkshire) beat Ernest Bevin College, Tooting Bec (London Central)
GIRLS UNDER 16 - THE MICK BETTS MEMORIAL CUP
1. Ackworth School, Pontefract (West Yorkshire) defeated Okehamptom Community College (Devon)
BOYS UNDER 13 - THE T. AUSTIN HARRISON CUP
1. St. Mary's College, Kingston upon Hull (Humber) beat University College School, Camden (London Central)
GIRLS UNDER 13 - THE HARTSHILL CUP
1. Wood Green Academy, Wednesbury (Black Country) overcame Burlington Danes Academy, Hammersmith (London West)
BOYS UNDER 11 - THE IRENE ELLIOTT CUP
1. St. Peter's Primary School, East Bridgford (Nottinghamshire) beat Great Wood Primary School, Morecambe (Lancashire)
GIRLS UNDER 11 - THE MARTIN FOULSER CUP
1. The Pilgrim School, Rochester (Kent) defeated St. Andrew's Primary School, Plymouth (Devon)
The view of most teams was that Hinckley Leisure Centre provided the perfect setting for these finals.
In the local league the finalists for this season’s Holt Trophy are now known.
Goons took on Barlestone A in the first semi-final running out winners by 5 sets to 1.Both Jason Woodfield and Harry White(both Goons) were unbeaten, although White was pushed close by both Charlie Bateman and Russell Pettitt (both Barlestone). Goons now go into the Final knowing that a League and Cup double is now possible.
The other semi-final between the two George Ward teams A & B saw last season’s sinners G Ward B overcome G Ward A by 6 sets to 1.Special mention for Callum Dale who was promoted from one of GW’s lower teams by taking Richard Chester(GWB) to five games and the unbeaten Clive Stretton to four games before losing both
The final between Goons and G Ward B will now take place on Thursday 13th April at the G Ward Centre commencing at 7pm.
One other cup result saw Queen’s B overwhelm Hit’n’Hope by 9 sets to nil to reach the Final of the Dry-Logic Cup.
The draw for the Handicap Team Challenge Cup is Cat A v RE Studios 2, GWE v Barlestone A, Goons v GW A, Barlestone C v Cat E. Matches to be played this week.