We are delighted to report that, following our earlier initiative to run coach training in Exeter, a group including Kevin Nicholls, Scott Walker, Gavin Larkin, Tom Ricketts, John Shearman and Ben Yarde-Buller successfully completed their UKCC1 course. Together they have a fantastic range of experience in both table-tennis and wider community coaching, and we are looking forward very much to their coaching contribution in our area.
This coach education initiative was organized under the Ping Steering Group/Exeter Priority Zone programme and we are grateful to Active Devon and Table Tennis England (SW lead Chris Brown and Talent Development Centre coach Paul Whiting) for all their hard work to make this happen.
Steve and Penny
--original posting 1/10/15--
Following discussion at our AGM we are looking hard at coaching in our area.
Our vision is that every player (or potential player) has effective access to appropriate coaching if they want it.
This is challenging to achieve of course, but now that Exeter is a Priority Zone for Table Tennis England we are looking at a systematic programme for a "step change" in coaching in our area, funded by the Priority Zone and other projects.
1) We note that there is a (very) professional coach Mike Hugh based at Okehampton and we encourage people to contact Mike/Okehampton TTC as appropriate.
2) There are also a limited number of volunteer coaches (including ourselves) in our area and we are happy to point people towards coaches in their area where possible (including for instance Teign and Exe TTCs).
3) It was argued persuasively in our AGM, that we should ideally be looking to have at least a L1 coach in every club.
4) We are now hoping that there will be a L1 coaching course in Exeter (possibly at the Uni or Exeter College) in the New Year, preceded by an Activators workshop (probably November) which will help people to decide whether they want to do the L1 course.
5) We urge all potentially interested in doing the L1 course to contact us (Steve Derbyshire) now so that we have a draft list of potential attendees.
6) We are of course happy further to talk about all aspects of this effort to enhance our coaching programme.
Steve Derbyshire (League Secretary) and Penny Perry (League Chair and Coaching Officer)