BENOY SHIELD RULES
1. The Benoy Shield knockout competition is open to all teams in the Crewe and District Table Tennis League.
2. Entry to this competition is automatic and there is no fee.
3. The competition is a team knockout handicap, the first three rounds to be played during the three weeks immediately prior to the start of the League season. The final to be completed by the 31st December. Any team unable to play a match during the week set aside will be scratched from the competition. The first round draw will be made by the Executive Committee, who will advise teams at the earliest opportunity but one week before the first round at the latest.
4. The home team from the first round draw will entertain the away team on their normal match night or on an agreed night. TheFinal tie of each event will be played on a neutral table.
5. Each team will comprise three players (1, 2, 3), who will combine to form three pairs (1 & 2, 1 & 3, 2 & 3).
6. Each match will be decided on a points basis, with each of the three pairs playing each opposing pair two games of 21 up (2 clear points when 20 all) only.
7. There will be no singles match played.
8. All registered players will be individually handicapped. The handicaps will be based on the previous season’s records. Players new to the League will be awarded handicaps at the discretion of the Competition Organiser.
9. No player may play for more than one team in the competition.
10. The highest total of points, including the handicap, will decide the winning team which will pass into the next round.
11. The away team captain will choose the order of play for the first set and thereafter the choice of order will be alternate.
12. In the event of a tie, the match will be awarded to the away team, except for the Final, which must be replayed.
13. The winning team secretary will be responsible for telephoning the result to the Fixtures Secretary on 07854 384186 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by the Sunday following the match.
14. If results are not received by the Fixtures Secretary as indicated in Rule 13, the winning team will be scratched from the competition.
15. Should any dispute or problem arise, please inform the Competition Organiser, who will look to resolve this or take the matter up with the Executive Committee and their decision will be final.