The Chelmsford Table Tennis League Management Committee met, virtually, on Wednesday 6 May 2020 and the following decisions were taken:-
1. Closure of the 2019/20 Season - Leagues
Given the Coronavirus Pandemic, it was agreed that there was no prospect of completing the remaining fixtures in the 2019/20 Winter Leagues. Therefore, to bring the season to a close, the following adjustments required to arrive at final league tables were agreed:-
- Points would be awarded for unplayed fixtures based on the average number of points gained in matches actually played. Therefore a team that had played 17 out of 20 fixtures, winning 84 points would receive 15 additional points (84/17 = 4.94 points/game x 3 remaining games = 15 points - rounded).
- All League Tables on the website have been amended to reflect these additional points which are shown in the "PA" column in each table.
- Where two teams finished on level points then the team winning the greatest number of games would be placed above the other team in the table.
- If the same number of games were won by both teams finishing level on points, then the head-to-head record between the two teams during the season was used to decide on final placings.
The method of deciding on final points and league placings, as described above, was decided upon after careful consideration of TTE advice and the rules of the Chelmsford & District Table Tennis League.
All league tables on the Chelmsford League website now reflect the points adjustments explained above and, therefore, show final positions with reference to winners, runners-up and relegated teams in each division.
2. Closure of the 2019/20 Season - Cup Competitions
It is our intention to attempt to complete the 2019/20 Cup Competitions before the start of the 2020/21 Winter League if the relaxation of the Pandemic regulations permit us to do this and all outstanding matches can be completed by 30 September 2020.
Eligibility rules for players in the remaining cup fixtures will be determined by reference to their 2019/20 status.
3. Closure of the 2019/20 Season - Junior Leagues
As the post-Christmas Junior Leagues had not reached their half-way point it was agreed that the whole competition would be declared null and void and no awards would be made for Champions or Runners-Up.
4. Central Essex Summer League 2020
It is highly unlikely that the Central Essex Summer League will be able to go ahead in its usual format for 2020. The League would customarily run from early June to mid-July, but at the date of our meeting, there was no certainty of the date by which competitive table tennis can re-commence.
When we are advised by the Government and TTE that it is safe to return to competitive table tennis, and if time permits before the start of the 2020/21 Winter Season, we will look to run some form of competitive Summer League, probably with a reduced number of fixtures. Applications to enter the Summer League are not required until it is known whether this competition can take place and, in what form.
5. League AGM on Thursday 28 May 2020
The League AGM scheduled for 7.30 pm on Thursday 28 May 2020 is postponed. It is our intention to hold this meeting before the start of the 2020/21 Winter League, either in conventional form if permitted by Government regulations for meetings of this type, or virtually.
Under either option, we may need to restrict those attending the AGM to one representative from each club.
Further information about the revised date and format of the meeting will follow in due course.
6. 2020/21 Winter League - Team Registrations
Given the uncertainty over whether the 2020/21 League Season will be able to start, as usual, in mid-September 2020, the deadline for submission of team registrations may be extended beyond 30 June 2020. We will confirm the team registration deadline when the resumption of competitive table tennis is known with certainty.
7. Chelmsford League Website
We were pleased to receive confirmation over the weekend that the TT365 website platform would be made available free of charge to Leagues and players from next season onwards. More information about this decision can be found on the TT365 website by clicking HERE
Finally, the Chelmsford League Committee hopes all members and their families are keeping safe and well during the current Pandemic and that we can all return to playing competitive table tennis in the near future when it is safe to do so.David Porter
Chairman - Chelmsford & District Table Tennis League
11 May 2020