Premier British League Round 5 - Report

Drumchapel Glasgow experienced a perfect start in front of their expectant home crowd with an 8-0 victory over bottom side Bournemouth Sports.

With Xu Rui Feng unavailable, local lads Craig Howieson and Chris Wheeler reentered the fold alongside Richard Main and Chinese star Sung Meng Cheng to devastating effect. A whitewash over winless Bournemouth didn’t come without its difficulties. Cheng and Main were pushed the full distance by Stephen Beerling and Hugo Pang respectively whilst Wheeler was also threatened by Stephen Foster and Nathan Bingham.

In truth, an 8-0 drubbing was harsh on Bournemouth, who constantly looked capable of picking up victories, but with the assistance of a healthy Drumchapel following they managed to find their ruthless streak when it mattered.


Drumchapel remain in third behind Sycamore and Ormesby, who both picked up wins.

Sycamore defeated Kingfisher 8-0 in what was a tough and exciting game other than in the score line. With only two of the eight sets ending 3-0, Kingfisher threatened a shock result throughout, most notably through Marcus Giles, who excruciatingly lost to both Sean Cullen and Matt Ware deuce in the fifth, whilst Liam McTiernan took games of both Chris Doran and Paul McCreery. Yet Kingfisher’s quartet couldn’t register a consolation against the dominant league leaders.

Things weren’t quite so easy for Ormesby, who churned out a 5-3 victory over a determined London Academy side. Two wins apiece for Darius Knight and Enio Mendes, including a win each over Dexter St Louis, set the platform for the title chasers as they looked to keep in touch with Sycamore. Wins for Adam Nutland and Sebastian Loso over Michael Marsden and Helshan Weerasinghe had pegged back Ormesby before Mendes defeated Nutland to give his side an unassailable 5-2 lead, which was narrowed when Gabriel Achampong picked up and impressive victory over Marsden.


Finally, Barrow picked up a crucial 5-3 victory over Fusion in bizarre circumstances after Fusion turned up late for the match.

A delayed flight resulted in Fusion turning up 13 minutes behind the scheduled kick-off time, which meant Fusion were forced to surrender the first set, Gavin Evans the benefactor with a walkover against Kazeem Adeleke.

Fusion started the contest as they got off the plane, slow. A quickfire period saw them trail 3-0 before Lorestas Trumpauskas beat Joanna Drinkhall. And whilst Trumpauskas picked up another victory, impressively dispatching of Craig Bryant after Adeleke had defeated Sean Doherty, Drinkhall’s eighth end win over Ramon Shitta secured two vital points for the Cumbrian outfit.


Author: via British League
Article Published:
Last Updated:
Share This Page